Message to the Income Tax Clinic clients

Due to high demand, we are currently experiencing difficulties in answering phone calls and providing available appointments through our website. If there are no available appointments on our website booking tool, it means we are currently fully booked.


We are working to recruit more tax preparer volunteers and hope to add new appointments as soon as possible. Please bear with us as we do our best to get back to everyone who has contacted us.


For immediate tax filing support, we recommend exploring alternative service options. The CRA directory of free income tax clinics can be found here:


We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Quick facts

Service type: Financial Empowerment
Eligibility: Toronto residents living on low incomes with simple tax returns. This includes (but is not limited to): older adults, newcomers to Canada, students, individuals with disabilities and individuals who are unemployed. Please see below for additional eligibility requirements.
Delivery: In-person and/or by phone
Fee: Free
Program dates: Year-round

Program description

WoodGreen operates year-round tax clinics for low-income individuals and households. The tax clinic assists with preparation of simple tax returns, up to 10 years of back taxes and T1 adjustments. We also support with Notices of Assessment, responses to CRA letters and other tax related matters.

Eligibility requirements

Income eligibility:



Please note, we are unable to assist individuals who:


  • Filed for bankruptcy
  • Have self-employment income/deductions to claim
  • Have rental or business income to report
  • Have capital gains or losses to report
  • Have investment income of more than $1,000 per year
  • Need to prepare a return for a deceased person

Before your appointment, please have the following documents and information readily available:


All clients:

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) and spouse’s SIN (if applicable). (Note: If married/common-law, both you AND your spouse must attend the appointment if you both plan to file a tax return. We can only assist in filing tax returns for people who are not present if you have proof that you have Power of Attorney).
  • Income slips from all your income sources (e.g., T4 slip for employment, T5007 slip for OW or ODSP). If you do not have these slips, you can request new copies by calling the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.


If you rent your residence:

A receipt or letter from your landlord that states:

  • Your name
  • Landlord’s name and contact information
  • Address of the place you are renting
  • Number of months you have lived at this address
  • Amount of rent you paid during the year

*You cannot claim your rent in your tax return without this letter/receipt.


If you own your own home:

  • Your property tax bill from the City of Toronto (or another municipality in Ontario)

*You cannot claim your property tax in your tax return without this bill.


If you were new to Canada in the tax year you are filing:

  • Exact date of arrival in Canada
  • Total income earned in the year prior to arriving in Canada


If you have children in your custody:

  • Names and dates of birth for any children under age 19
  • Receipts for child care expenses (must include caregiver’s SIN)


If you are a student (post-secondary):

  • Receipt for tuition fees (T2202A form — usually accessed through your online student account)
  • OSAP loans do not count as income and do not need to be claimed in your tax return
  • Interest slip/receipt for interest paid on your OSAP loan


If you have deductions to claim:

  • For clients 65+, Transit/TTC passes (you must have actual passes or PRESTO Usage Report)
  • Medical expense receipts
  • Charitable or political donation receipts


**Please note: You may require additional documentation for your tax return. Contact us for guidance on how to obtain missing paperwork.

Program testimonials



“I cannot believe my taxes are all caught up. This was because of you. I can only imagine how many people you have helped and brought similar comfort and ease to in times of distress and pain.”

How you can help

To volunteer, please contact [email protected]. Donations are graciously accepted through the WoodGreen Foundation.

Ready to participate?

Register and receive FREE support from our Tax Clinic

Register here

Need help?

Contact information

Tax Clinic General Contact

(416) 645-6000 ext. 1187


815 Danforth Ave.
Toronto, ON
M4J 1L2


Appointments are available MondayFriday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.







Related programs