The Community Connections program supports newcomers to adapt, settle and integrate into Canadian society and the workplace through various types of activities. These activities include Professional Mentorship, English Mentorship, English Conversation Circles (ECC), Group Activities, Networking Events and Seminars.
Facilitators will help to lead a small group of newcomers to practice conversational English in an informal setting on various topics such as Canadian culture and employment. The purpose is to facilitate an English Conversation Circle (ECC) which will help newcomers enhance their English language skills and to gain confidence in communicating in English.
- Plan and lead a small English conversation group for newcomers
- Engage and encourage participants in speaking in English and create a welcoming environment
- Prepare topics to widen participants’ knowledge of Canadian cultures and community resources
What You Bring to the Team:
- Excellent command of the English language and understanding of Canadian Culture
- Patient and interested in working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Dependable, self-motivated, ability to facilitate under minimal supervision
- Ability to track your volunteering hours on a monthly basis using our volunteer management system
- 1-2 hours a week
- Flexible scheduling
- 4-month minimum commitment
- On-going communication with program staff
- The Volunteer Services provided orientation opportunities via special events and through an online Learning platform.
- Program specific directions are provided.
- Directions of what needs to be done will be provided.
- Online background check
- (2) References check
Important Note: while you are filling out the application form, scroll down to the Screening Questions related to the Volunteer role you are applying to. You may skip screening questions related to different roles you are NOT applying to.