The Brant Skills Centre provides free literacy and essential skills training to adults looking to increase their independence and pursue education and employment goals. Through partnerships with local agencies, the centre now offers Homeward Bound, an innovative wrap-around program supporting homeless or inadequately housed single mothers to earn college diplomas, start careers and achieve financial self-sufficiency.
Service type: Homeward Bound
Eligibility: Single mothers (19+) living in Brantford and facing multiple barriers, including unstable housing, precarious financial situation, and limited or no access to education and employment. Please find the full list of eligibility criteria below.
Delivery: In-person and virtual
Partners: City Of Brantford and St. Leonard’s Community Services
- Single mothers (age 19+), living separately from partner/spouse
- Risk and/or history of homelessness
- Limited or no access to education and employment
- Canadian citizen, landed immigrant, or Convention Refugee
- One referral (from shelter, clergy, social program, etc.)
- Child(ren) are under 17 years and at least one child living with the mother
- Maximum number of children is three
- High school diploma preferred
- Capable of reaching college readiness within 4 – 6 months
- On or eligible for OW, ODSP or EI
- Able to participate in a full-time program
- No current criminal proceedings or addictions (one year sobriety)
Learn more about the Brant Skills Centre and the Homeward Bound Brantford-Brant program here.
Homeward Bound Program Participant
“I could not be more proud of myself and I honestly could not have gotten to this point without the support of the team at Homeward Bound. I never thought I could be in the position I am in now because I did not know how to get here. I am succeeding and becoming better every day, with the Homeward Bound team behind me every step of the way."
How you can help
Volunteer opportunities are available for individuals looking to utilize their career expertise to enhance skill development of participants either through one-on-one coaching, as a guest speaker or as a member of our Industry Council. We are also accepting donations, both monetary and of goods and services, to support the ongoing success of our program. Please contact Kiersten Smith at email@example.com for details.
Ready to participate?
Homeward Bound Coordinator