Medical Escort for Seniors
About the position:
Aging is a journey that requires thoughtful and careful planning. Our Senior’s Care and Wellness team is here to support seniors so they can thrive at home with dignity and independence. With programs like Meals on Wheels, Friendly Visiting, Home Support and our Senior’s Active Living Centres, WoodGreen strives to promote the social well-being of seniors in our community.
Shifts for this position vary based on client’s appointments and your availability. We’re looking for volunteers who can commit to a minimum 3 month period. The program runs Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and you may perform the service on days and times which you are available. The coordinator will let you know about appointments for which escorts are requested and, if you are available, details will be shared.
Staff support and training will take place at 815 Danforth Avenue. The remainder of this role will take place between the senior’s home and the medical facility.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide door to door escort; assist clients in and out of vehicles if required (this does not entail lifting the client); ensure that seatbelts are fastened unless the client possesses a medical certificate indicating otherwise; verbally check that the client is comfortable during transport.
- Provide translation services (if applicable/possible) while accompanying them to their medical appointments.
- Public transportation or Wheel Trans will be used to travel to the appointment – there is no need for a personal vehicle and the purpose of this role is to help the senior get to and from the appointment, not to act as an adviser regarding medical issues.
- TTC tokens will be provided for travel to and from the client’s home.
What we’re seeking:
- 18 years of age or older.
- Sensitivity to the needs and challenges faced by older adults living in the community.
- Patient and compassionate with a desire to help older adults living isolated and on a low income.
- Ability to work with people in a professional, empathetic manner.
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with people from diverse backgrounds and build strong working relationships.
- Orientation to WoodGreen’s programs, policies, and procedures.
- Falls prevention.
Shifts for this position vary based on client’s appointments and your availability. Shifts will take place Monday to Friday between 8:00am & 5:00pm.