Meals on Wheels Delivery
About the position:
Aging is a journey that requires thoughtful and careful planning. Our Senior’s Care and Wellness team is here to support seniors so they can thrive at home with dignity and independence. With programs like Meals on Wheels, Friendly Visiting, Home Support and our Senior’s Active Living Centres, WoodGreen strives to promote the social well-being of seniors in our community.
We’re looking for volunteers who can commit to a minimum 3 month period. The program runs Monday to Friday from 10:30am to 12:30pm and we expect volunteers to commit to at least one shift per week.
Staff support and training will take place at 815 Danforth Avenue. The remainder of this role will take place between Bridgepoint Active Healthcare (1 Bridgepoint Drive) and client’s homes in Toronto’s East End.
What you’ll be doing:
There are two positions available:
In collaboration with the Runner, Drivers will transport meals from Bridgepoint Active Health to designated homes on their assigned route. Volunteers are expected to remain in their vehicle while runners deliver the meals in order to avoid issues with parking.
Accompany Drivers to deliver meals to clients in the community. Responsibilities include loading meals into the car and delivering meals according to special diets and instructions.
What we’re seeking:
- Sensitivity to the needs and challenges faced by older adults living in the community.
- Patient and compassionate with a desire to help older adults living isolated or with disabilities.
- Ability to work with people in a professional, empathetic manner.
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with people from diverse backgrounds and build strong working relationships.
- Drivers: must have access to vehicle and valid G2 or G license.
- Orientation to WoodGreen’s programs, policies, and procedures.
- Falls prevention.
Shifts for this position take place Monday to Friday from 10:30am to 12:30pm – volunteers are expected to commit to at least one shift per week.