Income Tax Preparer
About the position:
WoodGreen’s Financial Empowerment Program serves to both alleviate and help people transition out of poverty by leading in the use of innovative approaches to directly address problems in the financial dimensions of the lives of low-income individuals. One of the ways we serve clients is through our annual Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) in partnership with the Canada Revenue Agency. WoodGreen’s CVITP has a tremendous impact on the community: we serve over 5,000 clients completing over 7,000 tax returns. Our volunteers help us put millions of dollars back into the community by ensuring marginalized populations have access to professional, free tax filing services and in turn access vital financial benefits.
Volunteers are an integral part of the income tax clinic. Your gift of time, talent and energy is crucial to the success of the organization. We require volunteers to commit to at least two 3-hour shifts per week for a minimum of 9-weeks starting February 23rd 2019 and ending April 30th 2019. Daytime, evening and weekend shifts are available.
Regular volunteer shifts are available at 815 Danforth Ave, 989 Danforth Ave, 840 Coxwell Ave, 1533 Victoria Park Ave, and 4040 Lawrence Ave E. We also have rotating community locations in Seniors Residences and Toronto Public Libraries.
What you’ll be doing:
- Help clients submit tax returns using UFile software.
- Provide high quality customer service and support to all clients.
- Ensure all formalities and concepts are fully explained to clients during their appointment.
- Attend mandatory training hosted at WoodGreen, as well as view web-based volunteer training provided by CRA.
- If applicable, volunteers may be asked to perform interpretation services for clients who have limited English speaking skills.
What we’re seeking:
- Experience in filing taxes with a good understanding of Canadian tax laws and regulations, especially as they relate to low-income tax returns.
- Good computer and technology skills; experience working with UFile is an asset.
- Familiarity with basic tax documents and policies; able to explain concepts to clients so that they understand their own tax situation.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A strong desire to help and serve our community.
- Sensitive to the needs and challenges of people living on a low income.
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of volunteers and clients.
- Punctual and good time management skills to ensure the clinic runs on schedule.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain professional behavior with clients in sometimes stressful working conditions.
- Comfortable working in an open environment that is shared with other volunteers and clients.
- Able to commit to at least 2 months for this year’s clinic.
- Second language is an asset.
- Orientation to WoodGreen’s programs, policies, and procedures.
- Canada Revenue Agency online webinars.
- WoodGreen’s Income Tax Clinic training.