Friendly Visitor for Isolated Seniors
About the position:
We are seeking caring and compassionate individuals who can provide companionship and social support to socially isolated seniors. Your time will help to reduce their loneliness and improve their quality of life.
Your gift of time, talent and energy is crucial to the success of this program. We require volunteers to commit to one or two hours per week for a 3 month minimum period. Being consistently reliable is a key attribute of this position.
Staff support and training will take place at 815 Danforth Avenue. The remainder of this role will take place in the senior’s home or an agreed upon place in Toronto’s East End community.
What you’ll be doing:
- Help WoodGreen clients remain independent and social by providing support and companionship.
- Meet with your senior match in their home (or an agreed upon location) on a weekly basis.
- Arrange a suitable time to visit on a regular basis and ensure punctuality.
- Offer social companionship and even take walks/go on outings in the community, depending on the interest and ability of your senior match.
- Engage in friendly conversation and leisure activities (playing cards or sharing a hobby) and provide support through friendship.
- Follow WoodGreen’s policies and procedures, adhere to the Client Bill of Rights and follow program specific guidelines.
- Record and submit monthly hours/activities and report any incidences, accidents or concerns to the Volunteer Coordinator.
What we’re seeking:
- 18 years of age or older.
- Sensitivity to the needs and challenges faced by older adults living in the community.
- Patient and compassionate with a desire to help older adults living isolated and on a low income.
- Ability to work with people in a professional, empathetic manner.
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with people from diverse backgrounds and build strong working relationships.
- Orientation to WoodGreen’s programs, policies, and procedures.
- Falls prevention.
Volunteer shifts will vary depending on your and your senior match’s availability. The majority of our clients prefer to meet during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm)