Community Connections – Professional Mentor
About the position:
WoodGreen’s Community Connections program united newcomers and Internationally Trained Professionals with volunteers rooted in Canadian society. Volunteers help newcomers adapt, settle, and integrate into Canadian culture and workplaces.
- A total of up to 18 hours within a 3 month period is required.
- Meetings can be conducted in person, video chat, over the phone or by email.
- On-going communication with program staff.
Staff support and training will take place at 815 Danforth Avenue. The remainder of this role will take place in the community.
What you’ll be doing:
- Act as a coach by listening, motivating and assisting internationally trained professionals in identifying job opportunities and building networks.
- Provide insights into your industry and share experiences within a Canadian cultural context.
- Share information about professional licensing, educational requirements and help explore potential career paths.
What’s in it for me?
- Enhancing your leadership and coaching skills.
- Helping to build a welcoming society.
- Opportunity for personal growth and development.
What we’re seeking:
- At least 2 consecutive years of work experience in your profession.
- Experience and awareness of Canadian workplace culture.
- Good communication skills; someone who is a good listener, empathetic and non-judgmental.
- Patience with willingness to coach; being open to new cultures.
- Track your volunteering hours on a monthly basis using our volunteer management system.
- Orientation to WoodGreen’s programs, policies, and procedures.
Shift times are flexible, and will be coordinated between you and your mentee.