Community Connections – English Tutor (One on One)
About the position:
WoodGreen’s Community Connections program united newcomers and Internationally Trained Professionals with volunteers rooted in Canadian society. Volunteers help newcomers adapt, settle, and integrate into Canadian culture and workplaces.
- A total of up to 18 hours within a 3 month period is required.
- Meetings can be conducted in person, video chat, over the phone or by email.
- On-going communication with program staff.
Staff support and training will take place at 815 Danforth Avenue. The remainder of this role will take place in the community.
What you’ll be doing:
- Helping newcomers enhance their verbal and written communication skills on a one-on-one basis.
- Supporting your mentee in improving his/her English skills in a helpful and comprehensible manner.
- Practicing work-related language.
What’s in it for me?
- Enhancing your leadership and coaching skills.
- Helping to build a welcoming society.
- Opportunity for personal growth and development.
What we’re seeking:
- Good command of the English language, tutoring experience is not required, but will be considered an asset.
- Good communication skills; someone who is a good listener, empathetic and non-judgmental.
- Patience, with a willingness to coach others; being open to new cultures.
- Track your volunteering hours on a monthly basis using our volunteer management system.
- Orientation to WoodGreen’s programs, policies, and procedures.
Shift times are flexible, and will be coordinated between you and your mentee.