Community Connections – English Conversation Circles and Group Activities Facilitator
About the position:
WoodGreen’s Community Connections program united newcomers and Internationally Trained Professionals with volunteers rooted in Canadian society. Volunteers help newcomers adapt, settle, and integrate into Canadian culture and workplaces.
- 1.5 hours bi-weekly (every two weeks) for a minimum of three months.
- On-going communication with program staff.
Staff support and training will take place at 815 Danforth Avenue. The remainder of this role will take place at various locations in the community.
What you’ll be doing:
- Facilitate conversations for newcomers to gain confidence in building their communication skills through various topics, including employment in Canada, living in Toronto, and cultural events in the city.
- Plan and lead a small English conversation group for newcomers.
- Engage and encourage participants in speaking in English and create a welcoming environment.
- Prepare topics to widen participants’ knowledge of Canadian culture and community resources.
- Track your volunteering hours on a monthly basis using our volunteer management system
What’s in it for me?
- Enhancing your facilitation, leadership and coaching skills.
- Fostering your cross-cultural understanding and valuing diversity.
- Enhancing your knowledge of values and workplace behaviour in multiple cultures.
- Gaining a better insight into your profession from an international perspective.
- Helping to build a welcoming society.
- Reinforcing your ability to nurture success in others.
- Orientation to WoodGreen’s programs, policies, and procedures.
What we’re seeking:
- Good command of the English language and understanding of Canadian Culture.
- Patient and interested in working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Good communication skills, friendly and non-judgmental
- Dependable, self-motivated, with the ability to facilitate under minimal supervision.
Shift times are available during the day and evenings – based on your availability and coordinated with the program supervisor.