Administrative Assistant for Income Tax Clinic
About the position:
WoodGreen’s Financial Empowerment Program serves to both alleviate and help people transition out of poverty by leading in the use of innovative approaches to directly address problems in the financial dimensions of the lives of low-income individuals. One of the ways we serve clients is through our annual Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) in partnership with the Canada Revenue Agency. WoodGreen’s CVITP has a tremendous impact on the community: we serve over 5,000 clients completing over 7,000 tax returns. Our volunteers help us put millions of dollars back into the community by ensuring marginalized populations have access to professional, free tax filing services and in turn access vital financial benefits.
Volunteers are an integral part of the income tax clinic. Your gift of time, talent and energy is crucial to the success of the organization. We require volunteers to commit to two 3-hour shifts per week. Volunteers have the option to volunteer two half-day shifts or one full day shift, based on their availability.
Volunteer shifts are available at 815 Danforth Avenue.
What you’ll be doing:
As an administrative volunteer with the WoodGreen Community Services’ Financial Empowerment Program, you will:
- Provide support and high quality customer service to a diverse group of clients.
- Maintain the appointment database and ensure clients are properly booked for an appointment.
- Confirm client eligibility for an appointment and provide information regarding what documents the client needs to bring with them.
- Book appointments for clients both over the phone and with clients in-person.
- If applicable, provide assistance during the tax clinic by checking people in for their appointments, answering client’s questions and managing the flow of the income tax clinic.
- If applicable, the volunteer may be required to perform interpretation services for clients who have limited English-speaking skills
What we’re seeking:
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Experience with computers, office equipment and comfortable learning to use new databases/software.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills to keep a clear record of data.
- Punctual and committed.
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment with a diverse group of clients.
- Able to commit to two 3-hour volunteer shifts per week.
- Second language is an asset.
- Orientation to WoodGreen’s programs, policies, and procedures.
- WoodGreen’s Income Tax Clinic administrative training.
Shifts are available Monday to Friday out of our 815 Danforth Avenue location.
- Morning Shift: 9:00am to 12:00pm
- Afternoon Shift: 1:00pm to 4:00pm